The Song of Sway Lake
Art House Cinema, Sept 16, 2018 | 12:30 pm
Directed by Ari Gold | Narrative Feature | USA, 94 mins
It’s summer on Sway Lake, former playground of the jazz-age New York aristocracy. Young music collector Ollie Sway (Rory Culkin) recruits his only friend, a rowdy Russian drifter (Robert Sheehan), to help him steal a one-of-a-kind vintage record from his own family's glamorous lake house. Ollie believes that possessing the secret recording of the WW2-era hit, “Sway Lake,” will magically boost his confidence with women - and redeem his father, who committed suicide on the lake.
But the arrival of Ollie's beguiling grandmother, Charlie Sway, changes everything. The vision of the matriarch transfixes the young Russian - and Charlie has her own plans for the mysterious music, which hasn’t been heard in half a century. For this song may possess the answer to the deepest riddles about love, passion, death, and memory - for whichever lost soul is first to find it.
Featuring a sparkling soundtrack of classic songs - as well as the stunning original of the title - “The Song of Sway Lake” is a romantic drama about the vanished grace of America, and the spells cast by the melodies of lost time.
Starring: Rory Culkin, Robert Sheehan
Production: Zak Kilberg, Michael Bederman, Allison Carter, Ari Gold
The Song of Sway Lake Trailer
- Winner - Best Picture - Vancouver GPIFF
- Winner - Best Actress (Mary Beth Peil) - Vancouver GPIFF
- Winner - Audience Award - Seneca Lake Film Festival
- Winner - Best Actor (Robert Sheehan) - Laughlin International Film Festival
- Winner - BEST FEATURE FILM - Hobnobben Film Festival
- Winner - BEST ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - REALTIME INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (NIGERIA)